Keeping Your Pet Safe at Halloween
Get Breaking News First
It’s time for ghosts and goblins, lots of chocolate, costumes and fun. It’s no fun, however, if your pet is not having a safe and happy Halloween. Here are some things to remember, thanks to the ASPCA:
1. Chocolate in all forms, but especially dark or baking chocolate, can be very dangerous for dogs and cats. Candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can also cause problems. If you do suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888.426.4435.
2. Popular Halloween plants such as pumpkins and decorative corn are considered to be relatively nontoxic, but they can produce stomach upset in pets who nibble on them.
3. A carved pumpkin certainly is festive, but do exercise caution if you choose to add a candle. Pets can easily knock a lit pumpkin over and cause a fire. Curious kittens especially run the risk of getting burned or singed by candle flames.
4. Dress-up can be a big mess-up for some pets. Please don’t put your dog or cat in a costume UNLESS you know he or she loves it.
5. When opening the door for trick-or-treaters, take care that your cat or dog doesn’t dart outside. And in case it happens, make sure your dog or cat has proper identification.
And just in time for the Harvest is the Carter-Subaru Pet-A-Palooza at King County’s Marymoor Park! Come out on Sunday, October 9 with your pets and your family to enjoy a great day of socializing, agility demonstrations, music, vendors, kids’ activities and lots more!