Two Families Suffer Possible Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

KENT, Wash. (AP) — King County emergency officials are warning residents who have lost electricity in this week’s snow and ice storm not to use barbecues to heat their homes. Two families in the Seattle suburb of Kent were taken to hospitals Friday night after suffering separate cases of possible carbon monoxide poisoning.

Kent Deputy Fire Marshal Don Barberie says one adult and three children complained of dizziness, headaches and nausea in the first instance. They had been using a small charcoal barbecue to heat their home.

An hour later, a family of two adults and three teens at a different apartment complex had also been heating with a charcoal barbecue just before they fell ill.

Carbon monoxide is a clear and odorless gas that blocks the body’s ability to absorb oxygen. Symptoms include headache, nausea, dizziness and fatigue. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal.

— Copyright 2012 The Associated Press


One Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Seattle

Watch Danny Bonaduce On DANNY TV

Listen Live