Santorum Supporters Tell Occupy Protesters To ‘Get A Job’

TACOMA, Wash. (AP) — Republican presidential contender Rick Santorum clashed with Tacoma Occupy protesters Monday night during his first visit to a state he said would be a “momentum changer” heading into Super Tuesday.

Minutes into Santorum’s speech, protesters began chanting and shouting. They rarely stopped over the next half-hour.

“I think it’s really important to understand what this radical element represents,” Santorum, a former Pennsylvania senator, told hundreds of supporters gathered outside the Washington Historical Museum. “What they represent is true intolerance.”

Police dragged away two protesters in the midst of Santorum’s speech.

The event took place next to the Occupy protest camp site. Santorum, who trails rival Mitt Romney in fundraising and organization, depended on the Washington Republican Party to organize Monday’s event.

“I understand their frustration. For three years they haven’t been able to find work,” Santorum said after his supporters chanted, “Get a job.”

Santorum is the first Republican presidential candidate to visit Washington state this year. It holds nonbinding presidential caucuses on March 3.

Since winning three contests last week, Santorum has tried to portray the presidential contest as a two-man race with Romney. When he was able to ignore the protesters, he directed most of his criticism at President Barack Obama but took a swipe at the health care plan Romney signed into law in Massachusetts.

“RomneyCare was the model for ObamaCare,” Santorum said.

He campaigns in Idaho Tuesday morning and will visit North Dakota, Michigan and Ohio later in the week.

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Jim Thiel says:

I can’t believe the same people who claim they are the job providers are telling bthe Occupy people to get a job. They either have big balls or little ears; I don’t know which. Probably both! Idiots!!!

1. Alex says:

Uh… being a Republican doesn’t mean you’re a rich business owner. Or do you believe 50% of the nation are millionaires?

If you went to a meeting, and some rude people came and started shouting over the speaker FOR 30 MINUTES, don’t you think that the audience members would start to get annoyed with them?

1. Adam says:

I know what you’re saying Alex. And while I will not argue people’s inability to present valid arguments in proper syntax, I think the point still needs to be made that it’s sort of a slap in the face when people, particularly obscenely rich politicians, tell these students and protesters to “go get a job”. Are there people protesting who shouldn’t be? Sure. Are there people who are raging bigots at Tea Party conventions? Sure. Do these people represent the majority? Of course not.
        As someone who considers themselves pretty moderate and very reasonable (particularly to sound logic), I have to question some of the motives and aims of the modern Republican party. I love the idea of small government, and a greater focus on LOCAL government (the one that deals with issues people in the community are actually facing), however, I don’t feel that most of these candidates really feel that way. And I think this is common across the aisle; we’re continuously duped into going along with making a larger federal government, Democrat or Republican waving the flag. While we bash our faces against the ground arguing of issues of basic equality and freedom, we’re getting ham-stringed financially from worthless government programs, policies, and conflicts.
        I have asked my father, a staunch conservative in some regards, the following question, and I’ll propose it to you, under the assumption you care about our country and the world as a whole, and will truly ponder the idea: What are we as a country, as a people, as a species working towards as a goal? What future are we trying to achieve for our descendants?

2. Phil Esteen says:

Wow!

Rick ‘needs a’ Sanitarium must be channeling the evil, imperial ghost of Ronnie Raygun when he opens up his black little ‘Christian heart’ and tells an OWS protestor to get a job. Typical conservative.

‘Christian values’ and ‘compassionate conservative?’ Not so much. What a hypocritical poseur this pathetic ‘sweater vest of a man’ is.

1. Alex says:

So in other words, you didn’t actually read the article… or even the title.

1. aarontant says:

exactly.

3. Adam says:

I’ll also say that I feel many people in this great country who purport to be Christians are also the same people who are angry at welfare, strongly oppose marriage equality, horde wealth, support war, and have no problem damaging the environment. That said, are there a lot of people out there who call themselves Christians and really do love everyone, including those they have never met and those who oppose them, and who work as hard as they can to have compassion for everyone. And let me tell you, it’s a hell of a lot harder than most people realize.

4. aarontant says:

So, my comments are not being posted?