2012 Emerald City Comicon Preview
2012 Emerald City Comicon
Washington State Convention Center
800 Convention Place
Seattle, WA 98101
Tickets: Fri. $20, Sat. $30, Sun. $25, 3 Day Pass $60, Child (3-10) $10.
Hours: Fri – 2 p.m. to 8 p.m., Sat – 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sun – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Emerald City celebrates 10 years of Comicon this weekend, March 30 to 31 and April 1, 2012 held at the Washington State Convention Center in Downtown Seattle. The Emerald City Comicon is the largest comic book and pop culture convention in the Pacific Northwest.
With 32,000 people in attendance last year and many more planning the trek this year, the masterminds of all things comic are pulling out all the stops, including comic book artists, TV and movie actors, voice talent actors, speed dating, autographs sessions, over 150 exhibitors and a new gaming section. Come as you are or whom you wish you could be.
Over 195 artists will be featured in Artist Alley, including Eddie Harris, one of the original animators for 1970s “Scooby Doo” TV show. His work includes “The Flintstones,” “Tom and Jerry,” “The Jetsons,” “Speed Buggy” and others. This will be his first convention appearance ever.
Special guest actors this year include:
- Adam Baldwin of TV’s “Chuck”
- Jon Bernthal of “The Walking Dead”
- Tia Carrere of “Wayne’s World”
- Tom Felton of “Harry Potter”
- Summer Glau of “The Sarah Connor Chronicles”
- Laurie Holden of “The Walking Dead”
- Christopher Judge of “Stargate SG-1”
- Christopher Lloyd of “Back to the Future”
- Eddie McClintock of “Warehouse 13”
- Katee Sackhoff of “Battlestar Galactica”
- George Takei of “Star Trek”
- Wil Wheaton of “Stand by Me”
Special guest voice talents include:
- Kevin Conroy of “Batman: The Animated Series”
- John DiMaggio pf “Futurama” and “Adventure Time”
- Jess Harnell of “Cars,” “Animanics” and “Transformers”
- Rob Paulsen – “Pinky” and Maurice LaMarche – “The Brain”
- Tara Strong of “Care Bears”
- Billy West of “Futurama” and “Looney Tunes”
Jay and Silent Bob Get Old
Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 7 p.m.
Tickets are $40-$85
Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes, a.k.a. Jay and Silent Bob from the movies, “Clerks,” “Mallrats,” “Chasing Amy” and others, will be recording their comedy podcast, “Jay & Silent Bob Get Old” live Sunday, April 1 at 7 p.m. Ranked number one on iTunes Comedy podcasts, this show is a funny look at these two “heroes” lives living for the Hollywood dream. This is a separate ticketed event for mature audiences.
Emerald City Gaming
The biggest change this year from past Comicons is the addition of Emerald City Gaming. Two full floors will be dedicated to tabletop games, role playing games and video games, including Wizards from the Coast, Pokemon USA, Fantasy Flight Games, Steve Jackson Games, WizKids and more.
Sci-Fi Speed Dating
Have a huge stack of comic books and no one to share them with? Have no fear! Sign up to be part of a taping of TLC’s “Sci-Fi Speed Dating” and find that special geek. It’s just like regular speed dating, only with costumes. You must be 18 to participate and must be single.
Related: Guide to Independent Movie Theaters
Jeffrey Totey is a freelance writer living in Seattle. He has a love for the arts and is a student of pop culture. He covers stories about the performing arts, theater, museums, cultural events, movies and more in the greater Seattle area. His work can be found at Examiner.com.