Filed underGrowing Your Small Business
We have looked at some effective ways testimonials can be utilized. Unfortunately, using testimonials goes deeper than simply deciding where, why, and when. The question of how to use testimonials must also come into play. Researchers in 2008 wanted to know how customers respond to testimonials. The researchers examined the two most efficient presentation styles, and how consumers can be clustered together to take advantage of those styles.
Please read the following very carefully, and consider how your company could benefit from these specific findings.
The researchers first divided testimonials as a tool into 2 groups.
- Testimonials presented by celebrities.
- Testimonials presented by a typical person.
The researchers determined that consumers fall into 2 general categories:
- More concerned with style and benefits of a product
- More interested in the features and performance of the product
This is where the rubber meets the road. Researchers found that the group of consumers more concerned with product features is more influenced by the endorsement of a typical person who has used the product. The category more attuned to style and product benefits tend to be more influenced by a celebrity testimonial. They also found that these style-conscious consumers are best reached with testimonials when these consumers are the target market.
Here are two examples:
- A high-end clothier places print advertising in the Business Examiner that uses Pete Carroll as a spokesperson. Hey, Pete’s a real good cheerleader! Have you watched him on the sidelines?
- A jeweler places a QR code on a direct-mail piece for the demographic that includes repeat customers with a higher amount of disposable income. The piece includes testimonials from repeat customers. Furthermore, the QR code is designed to lead customers with iPhones, BlackBerrys, or Androids to an additional special offer.
IN A NUTSHELL…
- If you tend to offer products and/or services that inherently possess more of a functional purpose, then utilize testimonials from real customers.
- On the other hand, if your firm provides items that offer style (clothes, jewelry, cars etc.) then you may benefit from having your product or service endorsed by a celebrity.
Regardless of which general category your company does business, your firm will benefit from letting your satisfied customers promote your products and services. To help gain more customers for positive reviews, over-deliver and provide incentives to induce testimonials. Keep in mind 1 out of 6 referrals from testimonials will buy. These referrals will tend to stay loyal to you 4 times longer and will be two and a half more apt to refer your business.
Start leveraging your company’s reviews, testimonials and endorsements. If you are not using them, DO SO! If you have not looked into acquiring testimonials, start with customers when they buy your product or service. Ask for customer reviews on your website.
Use the power of your loyal customers to assist in your company’s long-term growth!
Steve Whitaker – Creative Director
Steve’s Light Bulb Moments LLC