Girl Found Strangled By Jump Rope in Sammamish
Get Breaking News First
SAMMAMISH, Wash. (CBS Seattle) – A 7-year-old girl died after injuries sustained by choking on a jump rope.
Deputies from the King County Sheriff’s Office said she reportedly choked herself using the rope in what appears to be an accident, KING 5 News reported.
The girl was unconscious when she was found Tuesday evening around 7 p.m., lying facedown on the playground at Samantha Smith Elementary School.
The girl’s 5-year-old brother, as well as two caretakers, were nearby picking berries when the accident occurred.
KING 5 News additionally learned that the child was not a student in the Lake Washington School District.
UPDATE: SAMMAMISH, Wash. (AP) — The King County sheriff’s office says the girl who accidentally strangled herself with a jump rope in Sammamish was 4 years old, not 7, as initially reported.
Detectives said there was a substantial language barrier during the initial investigation Tuesday evening, and the girl’s caretaker was extremely distraught.
The girl choked to death on the playground at Samantha Smith Elementary School in the Seattle eastside suburb.
The sheriff’s office says she and her twin brother were with the adult, live-in caretaker when the caretaker and 4-year-old boy went to pick blackberries nearby. The girl stayed on the playground with her jump rope. When the caretaker and boy returned, they found the girl on a slide with the rope around her neck.
– Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.