PORTLAND, Ore. (CBS Seattle) — An 11-year-old cancer survivor caught on fire while lying in a hospital bed.

Ireland Lane suffered third-degree burns after catching on fire in her room at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital on Feb. 2.

Investigators believe the combination of hand sanitizer and static electricity may be to blame, according to The Oregonian.

“She still has bad dreams, but she doesn’t recall the actual incident, which from my perspective is very good,” father Stephen Lane told The Oregonian. He helped put the fire out by smothering the flames with his own body.

“I’ve been in medicine going back 30 years now and never heard anything like this. And hopefully I never will again,” Dr. Stacy Nicholson, assistant chief at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital, told KATU-TV.

Stephen Lane told investigators that his daughter used hand sanitizer the day she caught fire after painting a wooden box and creating static electricity on her bed while playing.

“I can’t get it out of my head,” he told The Oregonian. “I can handle all of it — I’m a dad and I’m supposed to. But I hate seeing her unhappy stuck in a hospital again.”

Ireland Lane, who beat kidney cancer twice, was in the hospital after losing consciousness when she hit her head at school.

Comments (5)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live