SEATTLE (AP) — A co-manager at the Oregon motel where a Washington man accused of killing his grandparents was arrested said the guy seemed normal. He was friendly, chatty, paid with cash and showed his identification as if he had nothing to hide.

Leah Kallimanis, the co-manager at WestShore OceanFront Suites in Lincoln City, Ore., said Michael Chadd Boysen told her he was on a road trip when he checked in Monday. It wasn’t until early Tuesday morning, as she and her husband and motel co-manager, Adrian Kallimanis, were watching TV news and going over the previous day’s guest log that it hit her.

“All of a sudden my wife said, ‘Oh my gosh, I checked that guy in yesterday.’ She looked at the registration form and the name and she said, ‘This is the guy who is on the news right now,'” Adrian Kallimanis told The Seattle Times.

They called police, which prompted a daylong standoff that ended with officers storming Boysen’s room and finding him lying on the floor with self-inflicted cuts.

Boysen remains at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland, Ore., in serious condition.

Washington authorities plan to extradite Boysen and charge him with killing his grandparents after they picked him up from prison Friday and hosted a welcome home party for him. Boysen, 26, is accused of killing Robert R. Taylor, 82, and Norma J. Taylor, 80, at their Renton home.

Boysen is being held without bail. Investigators don’t know why he went to Lincoln City or why he killed his grandparents, said King County sheriff’s Sgt. Cindi West.

The King County medical examiner’s office likely will release information Thursday about how the couple died, West said.

Investigators believe the Taylors were killed Saturday. Their bodies were found by Boysen’s mother when she went to check on her parents.

Detectives have determined that Boysen checked in under his own name and spent Saturday night at a motel in the south Seattle suburb of Tukwila, not far from his grandparents’ home, West said.

On Monday, Boysen checked in to the WestShore OceanFront Suites in Lincoln City, again under his own name. King County sheriff’s detectives said Oregon State Police found the Taylors’ missing car Tuesday in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Salem, Ore. West said Boysen paid cash for a used Ford Taurus at a nearby used car lot, the same vehicle Boysen indicated he was driving when he checked into the Lincoln City motel.

King County Sheriff John Urquhart called Boysen extremely dangerous because of threats he had made while in prison against his family and law enforcement. Authorities didn’t learn of the threats until after he made the news, suspected of killing in his grandparents.

The Taylors had picked him up from the Washington state prison at Monroe. They drove him to a meeting with a parole officer Friday, helped him get an identity card from the Department of Licensing and held a party for him.

Boysen had just finished serving nine months in prison on a burglary conviction, said Washington state Corrections Department spokesman Chad Lewis. He was previously in prison between 2006 and February 2011 for four robbery convictions. Those convictions were related to an addiction to narcotic painkillers, Lewis said.


Associated Press writers Lauren Gambino in Lincoln City, Ore., and Jeff Barnard in Grants Pass, Ore., contributed to this report.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS Seattle

Download The App

Listen Live