REPORT: Spokane Schools To Arm Officers
Get Breaking News First
(CBS Seattle) – Spokane Public Schools could have its own armed police force starting in 2014.
According to The Spokesman-Review, district officials have a plan in place to arm 13 employees who are already commissioned as peace officers. The 13 will wear .40-calliber Glock pistols at their sides. Each high school and middle school in the district would have an armed officer, according to the current plan.
If the school board approves the schedule Thursday, the plan to arm the school resource officers would unfold over the next few months, according to the Spokesman-Review.
The district’s officers will take part in weapons training at the Spokane Police Academy.
Spokane Public Schools joins one or two other districts in Washington aiming its employees.
Another safety measure the district will take is adding internal door locks.
News From Our Music Stations
- JACK Seattle: N. Korea Zoo Get Pack of Wild... Yorkies?
- KZOK: Watch U2 Perform 'Ordinary Love' at The Oscars
- KMPS: Watch Harry Potter Sing Taylor Swift's 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together'
- KZOK: Gettin' The Word Out About The KZOK YouTube Channel [Video]
- JACK Seattle: Terrifying Moose Attack Caught On Film [Video]
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Spokesman-Review contributed to this report.)