State Officials Warn Of Mudslide Scams
Get Breaking News First
SEATTLE (AP) — State officials and the Better Business Bureau are warning people to be wary of scams related to the destructive Washington state mudslide.
Washington state Attorney General Bob Ferguson says those wanting to donate money should exercise caution to make sure it goes to the purpose intended.
He and the BBB offer the following tips for donating:
- Be suspicious of solicitors requesting immediate donations. Don’t rush decisions and consider contributing at give.org, a website run by the Council of Better Business Bureaus.
- Avoid cash donations. Write a check directly to the charity, not the fundraiser.
- Never give out credit card numbers over the phone.
- Be wary of “new” charities.
- Watch out for fake “victim” or memorial social media accounts.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.