(1090 The Fan) — Felix Hernandez has been rewarded by Major League Baseball for his stellar pitching during the month of June. The King has been named the American League Pitcher of the Month.
Hernandez, 28, went 3-1 with a 1.22 ERA in six starts during the month — which included 54 strikeouts. (Only Yu Darvish had more strikeouts in June.) The 54 K’s marks the most Hernandez has tallied in a month during his career.
His 1.22 ERA was tenth-lowest in a month in club history and the fourth-lowest of his career.
This is the fourth monthly honor for Hernandez, also winning the award in August 2012, September 2009 and June 2009. Felix is the only pitcher in club history to win more than two Pitcher of the Month awards.
For the season, Hernandez is 10-2 with a 2.10 ERA and has recorded 137 strikeouts in his 18 starts.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Edgar Martinez HOF Voting Numbers Rise Again In 2017
- Former Mariners President, Longtime Baseball Executive Dan O’Brien Sr. Dies at 87
- Mariners Avoid Arbitration With Smyly, Dyson
- Jean Segura Agrees To $6.2 Million Contract With Mariners
- Mariners Make Two Trades, Acquire LHP Drew Smyly
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)