2newcw11 thefan-am1090seattle-logo-fina2l
SUBWAY BEAST MODE CHALLENGE 2014 | Sign up for our 3.5-mile adventure run | INFO |

Afghan massacre

File photo of an Army soldier. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Prosecutors: Bales Deserves No Chance Of Release

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales’ own “stomach-churning” words prove he knew what he was doing when he massacred 16 Afghan villagers during pre-dawn raids last year, a prosecutor told jurors Friday during closing arguments in the sentencing hearing.

CBS Seattle–08/23/2013

File photo of an Army soldier. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Bales Faces Angry Afghans As Sentencing Continues

The sentencing hearing for the U.S. soldier who killed 16 Afghan civilians in rogue raids on two villages last year has resumed with testimony from a villager whose cousin lost 11 relatives in the attack.

CBS Seattle–08/21/2013

File photo of an Army soldier. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Afghan Massacre Victim Takes Stand, Curses Gunman

An Afghan farmer shot during a massacre in Kandahar Province last year took the witness stand Tuesday against the U.S. soldier who attacked his village, cursing him before breaking down and pleading with the prosecutor not to ask him any more questions.

CBS Seattle–08/20/2013

(photo credit: Julie Denesha/Getty Images)

Army Prepares For Bales Sentencing, Afghan Villagers To Testify

Afghan villagers will have a chance to sit face-to-face with Staff Sgt. Robert Bales for the first time since he stormed their mud-walled compounds in pre-dawn darkness and slaughtered 16 people, most of them women and children.

CBS Seattle–08/19/2013

An Afghan man stands alongside the graves of some of the sixteen Afghan villagers who were killed in the March massacre in the grave-yard in Panjwai district of Kandahar province on November 4, 2012.  A US soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan villagers is due in court Monday for the first time since the March massacre, in a pre-trial hearing to decide if he should face a full court martial.  Staff Sergeant Robert Bales is expected to attend throughout the Nov 5-16 Article 32 hearing at Fort Lewis-McChord in the western state of Washington, base spokesman Gary Dangerfield told AFP.   (Photo credit Mamoon Durrani/AFP/Getty Images)

Preliminary Hearing In Afghan Massacre Case Ends

As Army officials weigh whether a case against a staff sergeant accused of killing 16 Afghan villagers in a pre-dawn rampage will proceed to a court-martial, Robert Bales’ defense team says the government’s case is incomplete.

CBS Seattle–11/14/2012

An Afghan man stands alongside the graves of some of the sixteen Afghan villagers who were killed in the March massacre in the grave-yard in Panjwai district of Kandahar province on November 4, 2012.  (Photo credit Mamoon Durrani/AFP/Getty Images)

Preliminary Hearing To End In JBLM Soldier’s Case

Attorneys will wrap up a preliminary hearing against Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, who is accused of massacring 16 Afghan villagers during a pre-dawn rampage earlier this year.

CBS Seattle–11/13/2012

An Afghan man stands alongside the graves of some of the sixteen Afghan villagers who were killed in the March massacre in the grave-yard in Panjwai district of Kandahar province on November 4, 2012.  (Photo credit Mamoon Durrani/AFP/Getty Images)

Afghans Find Hope For Justice In Video Testimony

Through a video monitor in a military courtroom near Seattle, Staff Sgt. Robert Bales saw young Afghan girls smile beneath bright head coverings before they described the bloodbath he’s accused of committing.

CBS Seattle–11/12/2012

File photo of a chair in a courtroom. (Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

Victims Testify About Details Of Afghan Massacre

Stories of the massacre came, one by one, over a live video link from Afghanistan into a military courtroom outside Seattle: torched bodies, a son finding his wounded father, boys cowering behind a curtain while others screamed “We are children! We are children!”

11/10/2012

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,071 other followers