The U.S. Army said Wednesday it will seek the death penalty against the soldier accused of massacring 16 Afghan villagers during pre-dawn raids in March.
Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales remembers little about the night he is accused of slaughtering 16 Afghan civilians in a nighttime shooting rampage, according to his lawyer, John Henry Browne.
The wife of the U.S. soldier held in the slayings of 16 Afghan villagers is offering condolences to the victims’ families and says she too wants to know what happened. She and her children were moved from their home in Lake Tapps onto Joint Base Lewis-McChord earlier this week.
Seattle defense attorney John Henry Browne is preparing to meet Monday with Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, who is facing formal charges in an attack on two slumbering Afghan villages that left 16 people dead, including nine children.
Five days after the massacre, a portrait of the 38-year-old staff sergeant is beginning to emerge, though it remains very sketchy. Much of what is known about the suspect was disclosed by his lawyer, John Henry Browne, a veteran defense attorney from Seattle who came forward Thursday.