The Army has scheduled a preliminary court hearing in September for the JBLM soldier accused of slaughtering 16 civilians during a pre-dawn rampage on two Afghan villages in March. He’s being held in the military prison at Fort Leavenworth, KS.
The wife of the U.S. soldier held in the slayings of 16 Afghan villagers is offering condolences to the victims’ families and says she too wants to know what happened. She and her children were moved from their home in Lake Tapps onto Joint Base Lewis-McChord earlier this week.
Seattle defense attorney John Henry Browne is preparing to meet Monday with Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, who is facing formal charges in an attack on two slumbering Afghan villages that left 16 people dead, including nine children.
An FBI spokeswoman in Seattle says there’s no specific target or credible information about an imminent attack. In Afghanistan, there are activist demonstrations against the US since a soldier at Joint Base Lewis-McChord has been accused of shooting and killing 16 Afghan civilians.
Five days after the massacre, a portrait of the 38-year-old staff sergeant is beginning to emerge, though it remains very sketchy. Much of what is known about the suspect was disclosed by his lawyer, John Henry Browne, a veteran defense attorney from Seattle who came forward Thursday.
Days after the slayings of more than a dozen Afghan civilians by a suspected US serviceman, the military has kept under wraps one of the most salient details — his name. According to the Tacoma News Tribune, the soldier was flown out of Afghanistan on Wednesday, and may be tried at Joint Base Lewis-McChord.
The U.S. soldier suspected of gunning down at least 16 Afghan civilians was from a Washington state-based Stryker brigade and received his assignment to a village stability program less than six weeks ago, a congressional source tells the Associated Press.