Tale Of The Tape: Spurs Dynasty Vs Lakers Dynasty
- StarTim Duncan is a a phenomenal player and a winner, named to 14 All-Star teams and twice honored as league MVP.Kobe Bryant is one of the greatest players to ever play the game. He had Shaq in his three-peat run, but not in 2009 and 2010. Kobe is one of the great scorers ever.
- Supporting CastYear after year, the Spurs put together the best supporting cast around their best players in the NBA. They are able to sit their starters for 15-20 games in the regular season, and still win most of those games. Oh yeah, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili aren't too bad.There's no question the Lakers had a good supporting cast. Shaq and Derek Fisher were pivotal for them, but c'mon. Adam Morrison won a ring in Los Angeles.
- Head CoachHaving Gregg Popovich lose in a category seems mind boggling. Popovich is right up there though in the Mount Rushmore of head coaches.Phil Jackson wins this not just because of his historic run with the Lakers, but what he did with the Bulls. The guy won six more with the Bulls. He's got 11 rings and only 10 fingers. Maybe one for a toe?
- Repeat AbilityThe Spurs have not had repeat titles in their run. They won in 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2014.The Lakers won back-to-back-to-back from 2000-2002. Then they won back-to-back titles in 2009-2010.
- ConsistencyThey haven't missed the playoffs since 1997, before Duncan got there.The Lakers missed the playoffs this year with one of the worst seasons in franchise history. They also missed the playoffs in 2005.
- FansSpurs fans are great, and they led the league in attendance in 2001 and 2002. Since then, they have dropped towards the end of the top ten.Besides 2001 and 2002, the Lakers have had a higher home attendance than the Spurs. Their fans also travel very well around the country. It's Hollywood, c'mon.
- ManagementThe Spurs might be the best organization in all of sports. They continue to put a winner out there with the same core group of players every year. They have also not had to go through any coaching changes. Hats off to GM R.C. Buford.The Lakers recently have taken a downward spiral and will be rebuilding. Since Jackson left, they have yet to find a head coach to replace him. They haven't put the core pieces around Kobe yet to get back to those championship ways. Mike D'Antoni was also nothing short of a disaster.
The Lakers get the slight edge because they have been to more NBA Finals in the last 15 years, plus they have 16 titles in franchise history. This Spurs run over this span with the same Big Three has been sensational, though. Not a fan of ties, so the Lakers get the win in this best-of-seven series.